Monday, June 29, 2009

i did not splurge like i planned to...

but I made a dress for QQ’s 1st birthday. And I’m so glad I did.

That was nearly 1 year ago. I wanted QQ to wear my handmade dress, specially designed and made for her by her own mama on her birthday. It took me many nights planning, sketching, cutting, sewing, and mostly fiddling with my new sewing machine, before this dress came about.

I choose a sunshine yellow cotton fabric, as little QQ is sunny and bright like the sunshine :-). As the fabric was a little thin, I lined it with plain beige cotton. The dress was gathered at the neckline and armholes to create two little puffed sleeves. It has a darling pocket for my little girl to bring around her treasures. I even made matching bloomers, mary-janes and hairclips! She wore this dress on the night she blew her first birthday candle. She’s such a sweetheart. QQ wearing this dress again when she was 13+ months oldIt is a great layering piece for cold weather. She wore the same dress, layered for warmth and easily removed as the day gets warmer, when we visited Bukit Tinggi in January. Even now that she’s going to be 2; she is still able to fit perfectly into the dress. This is her wearing the same dress last March in KLCC Park. I put on her a pair of pants under the dress, just in case she falls and scrapes her knees :-). Updated on 29th July 2011: Now that she's much taller (4 years old), she's still wearing her one year old birthday dress as a top. It is a comfortable piece and the flexible elastic neckline allows this dress to grow with her :-). Simple, so comfortable and sweet ... will definitely make similar dress again!

See my other handmade projects.

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.




Share this post on Facebook

7 comments:

Big Pumpkin said...

Awww.....I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish I could sew!!! Because that's exactly what I would have like to have done! Great job, mama!

BoeyJoey said...

Thanks! :-)

Annie Q said...

very nice dress!! QQ was lucky to have a mummy like you, can sew pretty dress for her. :)

A Mom's Diary said...

That is a lovely dress, and a loving present from mummy to QQ.

mommy to chumsy said...

This is such a cute dress and i love the hairclips. Do you plan to make more and sell them ;)

BoeyJoey said...

Annie Q & A Mom's Diary: thank you, thank you... :D

mommy to chumsy: If I do, will you buy? ;-)
It's actually quite easy to make, maybe I'll do one how-to post one day, and you can make as many as you want! :D

Pinggy said...

that is such a lovely dress and good idea to post a how-to cause i'm interested too.

thanks in advance ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails