Wednesday, July 29, 2009

refashion: boyish shirt to girlish top

I love buying shirts for HQ. They’re comfortable and airy, and they look great paired with pants or bermudas, tucked in or left out. And HQ loves them too.

Now getting QQ to wear HQ's hand-me-down shirts is easy. Making her look like a girl in them is kind of tricky. So, again, I used my imagination to make them look cute and feminine enough for my little girl.

This is one of HQ’s favourite Kiko shirt; here’s him wearing it when he was 2 years old. Before: Close-up, with 2 buttons missing
To refashion the shirt:
1. I wanted to make the sleeves more feminine looking. So, I picked the sleeve ends, trim it closely to the edge and ran a row of closely sewn orange thread (I don't know what stitch it's called). Here's how it looks like:

2. Next, to make the sleeves slightly puffed up, I ran elastic threads on both sleeves. Tie the ends of the elastic threads and trim. Here's one of the puffed up sleeve:

3. Next, I trimmed the sides slightly to accentuate the waistline.

4. Last but not least, I replaced all the buttons. I chose orange buttons so that they will stand out among the blue checkers. Again, these buttons are from my mom's tin of 30-year-old buttons.

Here's the finished shirt.
QQ posing with her newly refashioned shirt.


Share this post on Facebook

9 comments:

a-moms-diary said...

Another successful refashioning...again, I'm amazed at your handiwork and creativity. Hey, can I have your daughter's clothes as hands-me-down for my baby? :-)

Big Pumpkin said...

FABULOUS!!! I'm planning to start experimenting with my brand new sewing machine soon, with your inspiration. But I realised that I need more stuff, like chalk, pins, long ruler etc etc etc. Where do you buy stuff like that? My 1st project is to dress up a cupboard with fabric doors :-) Simple.....I need to first practise sewing straight lines, haha!!

Sue Sue said...

Hey PY, you really creative! Can transform your boy's baju to your girl.

BoeyJoey said...

a-moms-diary: Thanks... but I'm still learning leh; lots more to improve! Aiya, too late liao... I've given all QQ's smaller clothes to my friends' baby girls oredi... others have been pre-booked by my cousin leh (her baby girl born in May09) :-(

Big Pumpkin: Good good, looking forward to see your first project! I get my stuffs from all over the place; little shop in my little town, little shop near my office, Kamdar, etc etc...

Sue Sue: Experiment, experiement :-)

mommy to chumsy said...

Wow, you are really really creative :) Wish i took up Home Science last time so that I could sew. I so regret it now! :(

BoeyJoey said...

Not too late, mommy to chumsy... I didn't take home science too. I only sewn my first stitch with the sewing machine last year... so, it can be never too late! :-)

Annie Q said...

WOW!! You're so creative!! Nice top!!

Zura said...

Hi! I just found your blog and LOVE the refashioning & sewing stuff here. Would love to see more sewing posts as you're very creative! :)

zura from http//sewretrochic.blogspot.com

BoeyJoey said...

Hi Zura, thanks for dropping by! Will hop on to your blog soon :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails