Tuesday, July 7, 2009

the simple shirred dress

The days were getting hotter, and I took this as an excuse to make a light airy dress for QQ. This dress is so simple to make, I just have to shirr and shirr. I love what shirring does to fabric... the small folds of the fabric turn out so sweet by simply running elastic thread multiple times.

For this dress, I used a cheery looking fabric; just nice for spring! But as the part where we live does not have 4 seasons, my little girl can enjoy this dress the whole year round!

I shirred 6 times at the top. This created the beautiful ruffled neckline. I also shirred the straps, making the whole top part looking really sweet.
It is spacious for lots of movements and easy to wear. It has no zip or fussy buttons; just pull over the head and arms and QQ is ready to go.

This dress is a grow-on-me dress, as the shirred neckline can be expanded while QQ grows. As the dress grows shorter, QQ can wear it as a top instead! For chiller weather, she can pair this dress with a long sleeves and leggings. Super sweet!

Sweet, cheerful, fun and oh-so-cute, if you ask me. Oh, and I like the little dress a whole lot, too :-).

See my other handmade projects.

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.

5 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

Hi there. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Your little girl is so sweet. You made a lovely dress for her :D

BoeyJoey said...

Thanks for the compliment :-)

Annie Q said...

Nice dress you sew for QQ and can use for multi wear too!! Great idea.

Pet said...

Hi, me again...did you use elastic band on the most top row? I want to try...got everything I need, just the 'moment' to actually try it. I afraid it won't turn out well.

BoeyJoey said...

Pet: No, I use only elastic thread for this dress. I'm thinking f using elastic band too, maybe for another dress.

Try it, I'm sure it'll be fun :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails