Monday, September 7, 2009

many people asked

about the sewing machine that I'm using, so I thought why not blog about it ;-).

It all started when QQ outgrown her booties when she was about 4 months old. We could not find bigger ones in supermarkets. I tried to put on socks for QQ like how I did for HQ, but the socks left deep marks on her chubby legs. So, I literally took matters in my own hands.

I went to a fabric store in my little town, bought a few meters of fabric (obviously too much for making booties) and made some booties for QQ. That time I stitched the pieces of fabric with needle and thread by hand. And I enjoyed the process very much!

Slowly, I was itching to try more projects. I began to flip through sewing books in book stores, and actually bought one book on sale! Although I grew up seeing my mum using her Singer sewing machine now and then, I never tried using it even once. To tell you the truth, I was rather afraid of her machine. Her Singer is the old model where you have to pedal with your legs while you maneuver your fabric around. It’s very noisy, moves really fast, and seems like I got to have all four limbs working at different directions at the same time! Scary!

End of year 2007, I saw some Berjaya Group vouchers lying around in Dad’s house. Coincidently, one voucher entitles for 40% discount on Singer products! That’s great discounts, if you ask me!

I surfed Singer website and discovered that they have one branch located in my area. I dropped by their store one evening, and the attendant there recommended me a new Singer sewing machine model, Singer 8280. It’s not the heavy duty type but has just enough functions that a beginner like me can handle. The attendant demonstrated to me on how to thread and sew and I left the shop with my brand new sewing machine. 40% off the original price :-D.
*picture courtesy of Singer website.

When I got the sewing machine home, it sat on one corner, still in its box, for a good few months. I was too afraid to start using it *paiseh*. When I finally got through my anxiety, I was in a sewing frenzy. I sew every other night after the kids fell asleep. Sometimes I only managed to have 10 minutes before the kids wake up to the noise; my kids are really light sleepers.

Like crochet, I thought myself to sew. Experiments after experiments. I was finding things slowly, but surely. For the start, I sewed hairbands, aprons and a little dress. I don’t even know if the methods that I used are all correct in the sewing world but it was really fun! So I continued until now, and I hope to keep going :-D.

5 comments:

Pinggy said...

thanks for sharing the info. i'm looking for a sewing machine. browsing through Singer website but is not convince. Now I am and hope to get mine soon. Thanks again

BoeyJoey said...

No problem, FP. Happy sewing! :-)

Mummy Gwen said...

I also have the exact sewing machine like yours..haha. So far I've sewn 2 dresses and our curtains. I'm amateur in this..maybe you can give me some tips hehe.

BoeyJoey said...

Mummy Gwen: Oh, I'm a beginner too, and hoping to improve. We can share tips, yeah? ;-)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I have never used this type of modern sewing machine. I am very old fashion mommy, I think I preferred the old model. Hehe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails