Thursday, September 17, 2009

pets

Since young, HQ loves animals. He can sit on his own for a very long time flipping books after books on animals. He used to transport an animal encyclopedia to and fro our house and popo’s house, and he would ask many questions about the animals in the book.

When he was 2, he loved pointing out the differences of the same animal in a pack; for example the largest of the school of fish would be papa fish, second largest was mama fish, oldest looking would be gong gong fish, the smallest would be baby fish, and a somewhat medium sized and probably the best looking one would be HQ fish. After that, he started naming the animals… my records shown that among others, there’s one fish that he named Kwangsi, a bear named Momo and a turtle which he named Black Min Bok.
..................................................................................................................................................................

His very first conversation about pets was in October 2007, when he was 28 months old:

HQ : Papa buy cats for me. Two cats. One pink colour and one blue colour.
Papa : Where will you put your cats?
HQ : On my bed.
Papa : What if the cats poo-poo on your bed?
HQ : No… I carry them poo-poo. The pink cat very huai tan (Mandarin: naughty) one. Don’t want (me) to carry. So I catch her and beat her. I say “Naughty cat” and throw her in the van! Papa cat purple colour one. Papa cat say “No no no! Don’t put her in the van!” So I throw her up the tree.
Papa : o.O”

HQ’s imaginary world must be filled with puffy pink candy floss clouds, with a perpetual rainbow, and furry pastel-coloured pets for you to pet, feed and cuddle :-). But his treatment towards his imaginary cats was quite harsh, isn’t it?
..................................................................................................................................................................

We did not buy cats for him, but hubby bought two little turtles in an aquarium. We thought turtles are hardier and easier to look after. He was 30 months old then. HQ loved playing with them and he was given the responsibility to feed them. One day we found one tortoise missing. It must have climbed on top of the other tortoise and fell from the shelf. We returned the tortoise into the aquarium but it died the next day. HQ asked:

HQ : Why only one tortoise?
Mama : Oh, the other tortoise went for a walk.

Later that day, the second tortoise died, and like the first, we flushed it down the toilet.

HQ : Eh… where (is) the other tortoise?
Mama : I don’t know…
HQ : Maybe fall down from the aquarium also. (Went to look around but of course could not find it)
Mama : Maybe the tortoises ran away (feeling guilty)
HQ : Can papa catch the tortoise back?
M : Oh, papa could not catch the tortoises because the tortoises ran so fast! (feeling very guilty)
HQ : Maybe the tortoise bring the other tortoise go see the tortoise doctor… because fall down from the shelf… I think so…
M : Yes, yes, I think so too…

I found it really cute that he thought of a tortoise doctor, but I did not argue with him.
...........................................................................................................................................................

And most recently on 3 July 2009, when HQ is 4 years 1 month 2 weeks old:

HQ : I want a pet.
Papa : What pet do you want?
HQ : I want a pet fish. I will put the aquarium in popo's house.
Papa : Who will feed the fish?
HQ : I will feed the fish.
Papa : Who will bathe the fish? (pulling his leg)
HQ : Ha? Fish lives in the water wat. No need to bathe la!
Papa : Who will clean the aquarium then?
HQ : Kakak la
Papa : Who will play with the fish when it's bored?
HQ : I will buy another fish so that they can play together. I will buy one angel fish first. Then I will buy a flying fish.
Papa : What if they fight?
HQ : Then I will buy another aquarium, and put them in different aquariums. When they become good friends again, they can stay together in one aquarium again.

Pets needs so much attention… if we cannot even handle 2 tortoises, I really don’t think we should have pets. If our boy keeps pestering, I think his papa will finally give in. What animals are hardier than tortoises?

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

Share this post on Facebook

3 comments:

wenn said...

maybe just a rabbit?

SJ said...

guess the pets will live longer next time.

ps you're invited to comment on my post too. =)

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I am HQ is a loving and caring person, he loves pets so much. It is time for mommy to bring him to zoo one more since the last time he visited it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails