Friday, September 11, 2009

work completed - mini patchwork dress

Preview as shown here – work in progress.
This blouse is made from a combination of fabrics as pictured above, although there’s one fabric that I did not get to use. I choose a yellow colourway, and tried a variety of fabrics – one large flowery print, one subtle delicate print, one bolder small print and one geometry print. If you noticed, 2 of the fabrics were used before in this dress , these shoes and this yoyo hairclip.
This is the outcome of the dress. Instead of having buttons or clasps at the shoulders, I designed slots to pull the shoulder straps through and knot them instead. This is a truly grow-on-me dress. As QQ grows taller, the straps to be adjusted and it can be worn as a top. I can even add another layer of fabric to make it longer and it can be another dress! I think it looks pretty cute when worn with tights. The little money-bag-pocket completes the look. For colder weather, this dress can be paired with a mini t-shirt or long sleeves and a pair of pants. The result of mixing fabrics is striking. I like patchworks but hubby’s feedback was the prints and colour are too contrasting. Hmm… what do you think? Should I opt for matching prints and more subdue colours? Or contrasting ones like this one?

See my other handmade projects.
Share this post on Facebook

11 comments:

Pet said...

You have a very cute and willing model. My model a bit 'rebellious'. Looks great on her, good job!

BoeyJoey said...

QQ just woke up from her sleep this morning, and I tried to get her wear it for me. She didn't want to initially, but HQ managed to pujuk her for me :-D

reanaclaire said...

yoohh.... so cute so nice so unique! i like.. i may not have any more baby girls but when i do have cucu that time, i gonna beg u to teach me how to do...or better still, do for me.. hahaha...

Just joking, dont be startled, ok?

wenn said...

nice mix match dress..

Dora said...

If there's no money-bag-pocket I think it looks perfect. Sorry if this is disturbing, that's only my opinion!

BTW, I've added u in my blogroll. Happy Weekend!

A Mom's Diary said...

My dress sense is a little conservative so I think I prefer matching prints. But then again, this is a dress for a little girl, and little girls are supposed to dress LOUD :-)

SJ said...

i like the pocket!

mommy to chumsy said...

aww...such a cute dress.

Mummy Gwen said...

I think it's very pretty. I like bold and contrasting colours but don't know how to pair them hehe. Where you learn making this dress from? Im constantly looking for free templates on the internet...hehe.

BoeyJoey said...

Mummy Gwen: Thank you :-). I like bold colours too, especially lines and polka-dots, but it's difficult to find nice prints here in Malaysia.

I saw a dress something like this one on some website (browsed so many, forgot which one) and I agak-agak cut the fabrics and sew. It's an experiment but I quite like how it turned out :-).

Zura said...

Gorgeous dress! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails