Tuesday, November 10, 2009

do your bit to help

I read about Gavin from reanaclaire’s blog – Do Yourself a Favor

Excerpt from Johwey:
Gavin is diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease - an extremely rare fatal genetic disorder that progressively destroys the brain and nervous system.

But Gavin’s parents are not giving up. Gavin’s aunt (Johwey) has organized a fundraiser, where all funds raised will be donated to Gavin’s Trust Fund. You can read about the drive here.

Here’s how we can help:
· Make handmade Christmas cards (as many as you can) and leave a comment here for the mailing address. Remember to include envelopes. Deadline to participate is November 20, so be quick!

· Purchase the donated Christmas cards from here. Shipping of orders will be done on November 23.

· Spread the word through your blog/ facebook/ twitter.


As a parent myself, I can’t help thinking “What if it’s US who is going through this?” The least I can do is to spread the word through this humble blog.

As for the Christmas card collection, the deadline is just around the corner. I have done a batch, but they’re not perfect. I thought the quickest and easiest way to make as many cards as I can is to cut and paste. That’s exactly what I did… cut and paste. Here is the first batch of snowflakes cards that I’ve made (don’t laugh, ok?): If you are donating to the cause (which I hope you will), consider making these. They are not perfect, but will pass as Christmas cards ;-).

These are easy to make… really. Just fold square pieces of paper into eights, and cut out the design of the snowflakes… any designs, snowflakes are not supposed to look the same anyway. You can get a tutorial on how to cut snowflakes from here and here. Paste them on card stock paper, 220g would be perfect. Stick another piece of 80g paper inside for writing purpose. For the envelopes, you can just pick them up from any local book stores, they’re pretty cheap.

So, please, if you have the time, do make some and donate to the drive. I’m sure you can make much better looking ones than the above :-).

Again, you can purchase the cards from here.

Happy crafting; and “do yourself a favor” this Christmas :-D

See my other handmade projects.

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

8 comments:

kenwooi said...

that's nice =)

kenwooi.com

Mummy Gwen said...

Why would I laugh at you? The cards are so nice. :)

reanaclaire said...

BoeyJoey: i m so touched by your kindness and efforts to do up those sweet cards.. hope whatever we do, it helps to the cause.. God Bless Gavin!

wenn said...

lovely snowflakes card..

BoeyJoey said...

kenwooi, Mummy Gwen, wenn: Thanks... they're really very easy to make :-)

reanaclaire: I only got to know about Gavin from your blog... thanks for spreading the word :-)
And hope you don't mind I borrowed your words ;-)

Pet said...

This is something interesting, I guess this would be international shipping?

BoeyJoey said...

Pet: Yes, it is... I'll be sending them by next Tues, latest :-).

Jessica said...

I like the gold, silver and red combination.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails