Monday, November 16, 2009

how to: easy toddler skirt

This is the simplest skirt ever! It takes very little fabric and very little effort. A very quick and easy project. Here’s how:

What you need:
Fabric ( 1/4 - 1/2 meter - depending on toddler's size)
½ inch width Elastic

Equipment:
Sewing machine
Scissors
Iron (recommended, but lazy me always skip this step unless I really have to)
Safety pin

Measurements (fabric):
This skirt I made was to fit QQ; I would say at 2T – 3T size.

I take the width of the fabric as is, in my case it’s 44inches across (rows of triangles in the picture resembles the fabric actual sides)

The length of the fabric equals to the length of the skirt (in my case 19 inches). Add 1 inch at the top for elastic, and add another 2 inch for the hem at the bottom. Let’s call the length of fabric as ‘x’. So:

x = 19” + 1” + 2” = 22” -> that’s the length of the fabric that I cut. Note: I did not cut any of the fabric width and I left a wide bottom hem of 2.5 inches. As QQ grows bigger, I can easily loosen the waist by replacing a longer elastic and lengthen the skirt :-D.

Measurement (Elastic):
For QQ, I cut a piece of 20.5 inch elastic (20 inch for waist + 0.5 inch for overlapping)

For a better measurement of length and waist of the skirt, measure your little girl directly or use one of her existing skirt.

Instructions:
1. Fold the fabric in half, width wise (y). End meets end (triangles meet triangles). Print meets print. Sew the fabric together at the sides. Now it resembles a tube. Iron the seam open.
2. For the casing of your elastic (this is where you allocated 1” for the x at step 1) -> Fold the top part of the fabric at the width of 1 cm. Iron. Fold another time, at 1.5 cm width. Iron again.

3. For the hem of your skirt (this is where you allocated 2” for the x at step 1) -> Fold the bottom part of the fabric at the width of 1 cm. Iron. Fold another time, at 4 cm. Iron again.

4. Back to the sewing machine. Sew the bottom hem of the skirt.

5. For your elastic casing, sew close to the fold, but leave about 1 inch opening to insert your elastic.

6. Take your elastic, and put on the safety pin on one end. Insert the safety pin with the elastic into the casing through the opening. Maneuver the safety pin around the casing till it appear at the other end of the opening.

7. Make sure your elastic is smooth and not twisted. Sew both elastic ends together. Adjust elastic to distribute the fabric. Sew the opening close.

Viola! Your skirt is done!

This is the most basic skirt. You can add variety by:
- Sewing a different fabric/ ribbon for the bottom hem band and/ or at the waist band
- Adding lace/ ribbon/ ric-rac on the body of the skirt
- Adding pockets
- Adding buttons
- Etc.

Here's QQ posing with the skirt I made for her in 15 minutes (which was a bit too big on her when the picture was taken 4 months ago) :-)

See my other handmade projects.

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

8 comments:

CH Voon said...

hehehehe i will ask my wife to do so...

mommy to chumsy said...

wow, sounds easy but still kinda confusing for someone who has never sewn anything like me....hehehehe. your lil model is so cute :D

nizaa said...

comel nyer....err...sorry, im looking at ur daughter, not the skirt...hehe

Mummy Moon said...

Nice skirt . You took 15 minutes to finish it, so fast! I am sure I need more time, more and more time. haha

Mummy Gwen said...

Very nice and easy to sew. Thanks for the tute. :)

Pet said...

My SIL also made this before, looks cute on small children! :-)

Hey, you so good in sewing, should start doing smocking. I know you will like it!

Mummy to QiQi said...

hahaha....wait till my boys grow up a bit more and i shall get myself a sewing machine. can't wait to create what i have in my mind now!

BoeyJoey said...

Pet: Real easy right?

Mummy to QiQi: And I love to see what you come up with! :-D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails