Thursday, December 17, 2009

can you believe it...

I started quilting... To be made into floor mats...

Yes, floor mats...

Out of fabric scraps and old cloth nappies which I have in abundance... see, I'm so frugal, hahaha.

Before this, we were using thick woven mats bought from Ikea. I was always huffing and puffing during the monthly scrubbing and rinsing... and I thought I'm not going to do this anymore. So I made floor mats... which are a dream to wash... easy to scrub, easy to rinse and dry pretty fast too. And they feel so soft and smooth under our feet.

The first one I made is for the washroom downstairs...Close upAnd this one's for our room...Behind
The bindingI'm currently working on another one for our kitchen, which may take awhile before it's done. For a first timer, I have lots to learn... Have you done quilting before? How do you prevent the back fabric from puckering? I'm still using my current machine needle; do you need to change the machine needle for quilting?
See my other handmade projects.

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

23 comments:

Mummy Moon said...

wow, so nice, I also want !

ummiaqeef said...

wah..u r so creatif..clap..clap..

CH Voon said...

nice nice... 10q to make one for me :) hahaha

Anasfadilah said...

cantik! i called it frugalicious :)

Doreen said...

wow.... nice floor mats!! you're so talented... i can't even sew one... :(

mommy to chumsy said...

wow, they are pretty. yes, you are very talented. plan to open an online store or not?

nizaa said...

waa...u are so talented! i wish i also pandai jahit menjahit..:P

BoeyJoey said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments :-).

No talent la... just 10 itchy fingers, interest, and I don't want to wash those thick heavy woven mats anymore! hahahaha. They are actually more functional than aesthetic...

Have a nice long weekends, girls! :-)

Leh said...

Cool

D' Cottage Crafts Inahaiqal said...

What did you put inside? Still a batting?

lil' bulb said...

Not only talent but creative too. Those colour matching turn out so nice.

BoeyJoey said...

D' Cottage Craft Inahaiqal: Old cloth nappies :-)

lil' bub: Thanks, S.Wei :-)

ChloeRuoyi said...

This is awesome! Turning scraps into beauties... very practical and nice.

BoeyJoey said...

ChloeRuoyi: My sewing are all simple and parctical... beginner ma... :-)

wenn said...

good hobby..

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah...pandailah you. I think you need to change the needle coz it's quite thick right. How can you find time for quilting leh? Salute you.

BoeyJoey said...

Mummy Gwen: After my kids go to sleep lo... I did little by little, took very long to complete :-)

My Botang said...

wow, very eco.. good idea.. and the end products are wonderful and very useful..the best part it you get to reduce the mounting scraps in your collection and practice your quilting skills..

do you baste your sandwiched fabric before quilting? i've never changed my needle and that has worked just fine with my quilts.

BoeyJoey said...

My Botang: Yes, I love that they are made from scraps too. I did baste the top piece, batting and bottom piece together before the quilting process. As I quilt along, the puckerings emerged :-(.

And hey, thanks for dropping by :-).

Dora said...

So colorful & flowery floor mats surely a piece of art at home!

My Botang said...

Found this when searching about puckering on the net. see if it helps you to find solution.
http://www.amefird.com/seam_puckering_bulletin.htm

BoeyJoey said...

Dora: Thanks! :-)

MyBotang: Hey, thanks for the tip... will read up :-)

A Mom's Diary said...

OMG!!! So lovely. I would have these for my floor mats over those commercially bought ones anytime. Where on earth do you find the time?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails