Friday, December 11, 2009

we were at the pet store

and we came across these...

HERMIT CRABS!!!

I never knew these can be kept as pets!

I was with QQ waiting outside the pet store, while hubby and HQ went in. But when I saw these at the entrance, I couldn't resist and took a short clip.

Unlike snails, hermit crabs were not born with their own "home". They recycled empty seashells (the original owners must have been dead) and make them thier own homes. As they outgrow their shells, they find bigger empty seashells as their home.

I was fascinated and tried to get HQ interested. HQ was too busy oogling at the other furry animals - dogs, cats, birds, hamsters, rabbits - pestering his papa to buy a pet for him, trying his luck one by one.

Keeping pets is hardwork. Bathing them, feeding them, training them, and scopping their poo poo? *wave white flag*

But these hermit crabs are different! Just need to place the feed on the bowl, maybe twice a week? Clean out the tank? Maybe once a fortnight. Very low maintenance. And there are trays and trays of empty seashells for sale... imagine strewning many of the empty shells in the tank and seeing them scrambling to choose their own home. How cute is that? Most importantly, they have no furs! :-D

When finally HQ came out and listened to all my sales talk to get the hermit crabs, guess what did he respond me?

"When these hermit crabs grow big, we can cook them for dinner ah???"

I guess that means he didn't like them... *sigh*

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

15 comments:

KB said...

If HQ takes hermit crabs as pet, at least it won't jump down from 3 feets high shelf like the tortise...

smallkucing said...

Ya..can we cook them? Sweet Sour crabs..yum yum... :D

I prefer pet that can respond like cats and dogs. Very tedious but maybe when HQ is a bit older can consider it. It will teach him responsibility :D

BoeyJoey said...

KB: Hahaha.. the one that climbed on top of another tortoise and made that suicide jump?

smallkucing: When that happens, I'll invite you over, hahaha!
I guess HQ too prefer those responsive ones; he loves dogs best... maybe when he's older and QQ no longer allergic :-).

wenn said...

interesting..seen that before..

Mamapumpkin said...

Oh, which pet shop is this? CUz I know some people who would like exactly THAT for Xmas!

the little prince said...

Huh,,,interesting ya,,,but after looking at them, feed them, I also dont think I want to eat them!! hahaha!! :-)

SJ said...

hermit! like watching them walk

A smile from SJ =)

UmmiRosma said...

Hey...this sounds pretty interesting! We are looking for a suitable pet for the kids too...they prefer the furry rodents..eee....but I m thinking of buying them small terrapins..but still need to think real wise..!

But then when you tell about these cute hermits...I feel like buying them too. Too bad we dont have them here being sold...mayb catch some at the beach? heheheh

Really wanna know the updates...how much is a pair being sold?

Furthermore --> I laughed at your son's remark about the big 'crab'...hehehhehe

TZ said...

hmmm... how can the pet shops sell hermit crab. I think they would be dying soon. Poor Hermit Crab.

Uncle Lee said...

Hi Boey Joey, ha ha, I learned something today. I never knew about these hermit crabs, only the ones that goes with candlelit dinners, ha ha.
Should be fun, and imagine the lively conservation when you get visitors....

Here people tend to keep all kinds of pets. One fellow kept a Burmese python. One day it escaped....the police, fire authorities surrounded the neighbourhood.....ha ha. He was fined! They found the snake.

Another kept a lion, and again it escaped. Sure cause a panic where he lived, ha ha.
Me? I only got one pet.....my wife, high maintenance! Got to deed shoes, handbags, clothes at least once a month.
Maybe I should think of a trade in, a younger, new model? Heh heh. Have a great weekend, Lee.

Dora said...

Oh I never know this crabby can keep as pet, how long is their lifespan?

chinnee said...

wahahaha...i was about to ask u the same question until i read till the bottom. worth keeping if they are edible!

BoeyJoey said...

MamaPumpkin: Pets Lovers Centre at Ikano!

the little prince: Ya... pets ma, where got heart to eat them... moreover I don't think they can be eaten...

UmmiRosma: Yes, my kiddos also prefer furry pets... they sold by individual... one costs from RM5 to RM15...

TZ: These were placed for display... the ones that people rear should have better living condition than this...

Uncle Lee: Brrr... phyton and lion out in the open? Hermit crabs are exotic enough for me, thank you :-)
Your wife is a very lucky pet, and must be an attractive one too :-D. Haha... but not any younger new model can cook as well, eh? *wink*

Dora: I think any marine animals kept in capivity has lower lifespan... according to the shop keeper, these hermit crabs can live up to 30 - 50 years... but I doubt it; probably 5 years?

chinnee: Hahaha... I think cannot be eaten la... even if can, they're so small!

Annie Q said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHAH...HQ so cute with the answer! His concern is to "eat" them. LOL!

日月神教-任我行 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,性感影片,正妹,聊天室,
情色論壇

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails