Thursday, January 7, 2010

first visit to the public library

This is a very back-dated post, but I want to note this down as it was our kiddos’ first visit to the public library on 24 November 2009.

Hubby and I brought the kids to our local public library. This was the same library that I went to every Saturday after my curriculum activities when I was still in primary school. My friends and I would make a beeline towards the library, chatting away. We had to cross a number of roads, one really wide one too, and we held hands and huddled together while crossing.

The kids often hear about Gabriel’s (their cousin in Singapore who gets to visit a really fabulous library) stories about library visits, and they wanted to visit one too. So we brought them one Saturday. The books were a little old, but interesting nonetheless. HQ was more interested with the animal encyclopedias and QQ the small graphical short stories. HQ was adamant to hear us read every single page of the books he selected. So we cheated lo… skipped a lot to save time… hee hee. On the other had, QQ enjoyed selecting books from the shelves, bringing them to our table, and bringing the books back to the shelves again, after just flipping a few pages. At one point, HQ pointed to me a little girl sitting at the back of the room, saying that she’s his schoolmate (of his old school). I suggested to him to walk over to say hello. My boy smiled sheepishly and declined. I thought he was shy, so I suggested walking together with him to say hello to his schoolmate. He nodded and while walking towards her, he held on to my hand and shook his head. He didn’t want to proceed. When I asked him why, he told me “Her mama is with her.” “It’s ok, you can call her aunty” I suggested. He shook his head. So, we went back to our own table.

My little boy can make monkey faces in public, negotiate with our familiar pead, experiment fashion in public and dance a silly dance, but with strangers, he’s really a shy little boy :-). I read that it’s normal for some kids to be shy, and that to wait for them to be ready at their own pace. Are your kids shy? How do you encourage your kids to overcome shyness? :-)

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

11 comments:

goolyma said...

is this character ah? like cannot be forced one? But to be bolder, can try to suggest that he orders his own food?

reanaclaire said...

seriously, i dont know.. till today, my kids are still on the shy side.. and they are in their teens already.. too late to overcome or not? :) but i think confidence is the tool to overcome shyness.. instil some confidence in them, exposing them more to the outside world and telling them all .. from A-Z... if u have the breath.. hahahaa..

Kancilbiru said...

I dah tengok that iklan dekat TV...*wink* phewitt...

wenn said...

it's ok to be shy, at least they don't misbehave.

ChloeRuoyi said...

May I know where is this library? We've been looking for one that is near enough for us to go regularly but have no idea where to find it...

mommy to chumsy said...

wow, the kids seem so engrossed :) it's ok that he is shy. soon he'll grow out of it :D

smallkucing said...

My kid also shy when with strangers. need time to "activate" his Monkey Mode.

Not a bad thing too if kids are shy. At least they wont be tempted to go off with strangers that easily

Mummy Gwen said...

Gwen is shy too. :P I read somewhere, it can be inherited too..must be from me lah.

Dora said...

I guess that's very normal for small kids being shy towards strangers but I'm sure the shyness will be gone gradually...

2ma said...

wow, never cross my mind to bring the boys to a public library *hehe* maybe one of those days when we have nothing much to do, we will check it out

slavemom said...

Good that HQ n QQ r so well-behaved at the library. I dun dare to bring mine to such plcs as I'm scared they'll make too much noise. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails