Friday, February 19, 2010

i always look forward to

CNY meal at my mum’s house. *slurp* yummy!

We always go back to my mum’s house for a heavy brunch on the second day of Chinese New Year. My sis and her little family would normally have arrived from Singapore already, and we’ll have a good meal together :-)

My mum is a great cook. The dishes below are all prepared by her, sometimes a few days before the actual day of feasting. The abalone above was later sliced and placed into fish maw and fishball soup (soup not in picture). Also missing from the picture above is sea cucumber braised with flower mushroom, my dad's favourite.
A basket of fresh lettuce leaves from mum's garden, for wrapping braised nga ku and pork slices, with a dallop of sweet sauce.
This dish is my siblings' absolute favourite - stuffed dried oyster with fish and pork meat. Mum made 52 pieces of these!

With every celebration there is sure an abundance of good food. To me, food prepared by mum beats any sharksfin or abalone in any top-class restaurant... it is the homecooked flavor, childhood memories and the feeling of togetherness that these food brings, that I really care about :-).

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

11 comments:

nizaa said...

She made 52 pieces all by herself? I'm impressed..i made cekodok 10 ketul pun dah penat..hehe

reanaclaire said...

really top class esp the fish paste around the oyster.. yes, i heard from my frens that their mums also cook before the eve.. more yap mei! (seasoned)

CH Voon said...

have u learn some kung fu from your mom?

maybe next time, u can organise a party and all go to taste ...

ChloeRuoyi said...

Yup, nothing compares to our mummy's cooking! That stuffed dried oyster with fish and pork meat looks really yummy.

Annie Q said...

i love the sea cucumber dish. My mil was a good cook, now she has pass her skill to her daughter in law.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

gosh i am salivating and it's so close to dinner time.

BoeyJoey said...

nizaa: Alaaa... you kan macam princess, nizaa? *wink*

reanaclaire: Besides more yap mei, for my mum it's because she has so much to do! :-)

CH Voon: Hahaha... learning learning... when I'm Sifu, I will invite all of you over. Before I become Sifu, we all go restaurant la... hahaha

ChloeRuoyi: Our fav :-)

Annie Q: Are you the DIL that she passed her skills to??? Wah... got chance for me to "tai hoi ngan kai" or not? :-)

mommy to chumsy: I'm hungry to :-(

Mummy Gwen said...

Mum's cooking is the best! I agree with you. Your mum sure can cook up a storm. :)

Uncle Lee said...

Hi BJ, wow! Your mom sure one great cook....no wonder you can cook well too.
I'm sure you all had a great time....giving, receiving ang pows.
Have a great weekend, Lee.

wenn said...

wow, nice home-cooked food!

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

You also likes to wrap the meat into the lettuce? Me and my family loves doing it too..its crunchy and refreshing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails