Thursday, February 4, 2010

"my friends called me botak head"

HQ just had his haircut last Sunday. This time round, his hair was cut extra short, as long as his eyelashes. That just gives you a rough idea how short his hair is :-) We like his new haircut. Makes HQ looks chubbier, younger and cuter. And his sweat gets dry much faster too. I love running my fingers through his hair. See… even QQ cannot resist :-). Monday was a Federal Holiday, so I was at mum’s house with QQ while HQ went to school. When HQ came back from school, he told me:

HQ: My friends laughed at me and called me botak head (Malay: bald). Only Qing Qing, Yiet Ling and Sabrina say my hair look nice.
Mama: It’s ok, HQ, as long as you like your hair. All of us also think that you look nice!
HQ: But they call me botak head in Mandarin. I don’t know how to answer them back in Mandarin. Can you teach me?
Mama: OK. What do you want to tell them?

If it was me at his 4.5 age, I will answer a typical “I’m angry with you. I don’t want to be your friend anymore”.

With HQ, I thought his answer will not be as childish, maybe “My hair is just short, not botak” or somewhere along those lines. But, I was surprised when he asked me to translate to him:

HQ: Mama, teach me to say in Mandarin“I like you, so please don’t bully me”.

Although I explained to him that they are not bullying him, they are merely teasing him, I thought he was mature in handling the situation. Not retorting, not sulking or being bitter. But a more mature way of asking his friends to stop laughing at him because they are friends.

I am again reminded that my son is growing up :-).

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

11 comments:

smallkucing said...

we also botak Joshua's hair sometimes. But refrained from doing so this month coz CNY coming. Got some supersitious ppl out there. :(

the little prince said...

I make my son botak head every 3 - 4 months, and he also like to call himself botak head!! :-)

I told him that aunty cut his hair, no more hair!! Its OK!!

CH Voon said...

hey... first we i see your title... havent browse to your blog.

i though how can boeyjoey cut her hair until botak head... not need celebrate cny meh?

after manage get in ur blog...

oh... i forget that...you have a son as well. hahaha

good to botak head ... i want to try as well.... maybe next time

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

Wow... he is such a good boy!! So mature to answer that way...

ChloeRuoyi said...

HQ is a very good boy. He still chooses to like his friends although they've been not too kind to him... that's a very good trait in such a young boy :-)

Mummy Gwen said...

Very unexpected answer from a 4.5 year old boy. Mummy and Daddy taught him well. Good boy. He is such a gentleman.

P/S: His friends will get used to his new hair very soon. That time no more teasing already.

goolypop said...

wah...So matured of him. If i were in kindie, I sure want to be his gf..*swoons*

Alice Phua said...

Wow, a very good and mature answer from a boy of that age - I'm impressed! :-)

A Mom's Diary said...

What a good boy he is! Yiu Yiu also asks me how to say this and that in Mandarin :-)

Mommy Ling said...

U know what, my gal told me she wants to cut Botak...i nearly faint. Then i asked her why. She said she wants to become a boy...slapped forehead**

Anyway, since the weather is so hot now, with hair cut short also better for them.

BoeyJoey said...

smallkucing: Superstitious to cut hair before CNY? I never heard of that one wor...

goolypop: Haha... You sudah terlambat. He already has one, and he's very loyal too *slap forehead*
This thing about girlfriends... I already don't like his first one! *seeing myself in 20 years as a hideous MIL* T.T *touch wood touch wood*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails