Thursday, June 24, 2010

"no rice when having fever"

I often hear this advice from the old folks - "don't give your children rice when they are having fever". Best to take bread or noodles. The old folks said it's because rice or porridge will fuel the fever.

I never understand the rationale behind this and previously, I gave porridge to my kids when they're having fever. Until I saw the fever coming back again and again, right after having rice or porridge. Now, I'm a believer.

Last Sunday, when QQ was still recovering from her very stubborn fever, I gave her bread with cheese and fruit spread for breakfast. I cooked this for the kids for their lunch: pasta, panfried mayau fish and sieved ABC soup added with spinach. (that's QQ's impatient hand *shake head*)
Love this tiny shaped pasta with ridges... tiny and cute!
QQ's serving.
We went out for Father's Day dinner and she had only the dishes minus the rice. While waiting for our food to arrive, she had a slice of bread. This is how she ate her bread... made a hole in the middle and stuck her thumb in... nibbled nibbled nibbled around the edges of the bread till she reached her thumb :-). Have you heard of such advice from the old folks - no rice when having fever? My only explanation is, I think it's because rice is a complex carbo and requires more energy to digest, thus raising the body temperature. And bread and pasta are alright for fever being simple carbo and easier to digest. Is it true?

© Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without express written permission.

23 comments:

smallkucing said...

I heard that too. so i made noodle or poridge instead.

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

I never understood the rationale too but I still followed. Last time I remembered I asked the doc about this and he told me it was alright to take rice wor. *shrugs*

reanaclaire said...

yes, true.. one generation older than me also said so :) bread ok.. but not rice..

Broccoli Ginger said...

Maybe. I experienced the same too. But normally I will give oats.

my Angel Closet said...

Yeah, old folks like my MIl and my mom told me no rice when they have fever... I ask a doc before, he says rice is hard to digest for a sick person... Then I asked Chinese med shop too, they said rice n porridge got ' Mai Hei'

The other day Heng Heng was admitted in hosp, I asked tis paed again what food can give to Heng Heng, he replied any food!! I ask a nurse too. She said here in their hosp no pantang larang * pengsan*

prince n princess mum said...

get well soon..

Mummy Gwen said...

Yeah, my mum told me that too. So, I never give Gwen any rice if she has a fever. QQ eats alot too.

P/S: We are staying in Sommerset. It's managed by Ascott.

Mommy Ling said...

Yes..heard that. I also like u dont believe and continue feeding rice..hahahhah..so bad of me.

mNhL said...

Oh yes! MIL is a strong believer 'NO RICE' when having fever. But my own parents do not practice that. So both my brother and I grew up on rice even we had fever. haha.....

I like QQ's way of eating bread. So cute! hahaha.....Last time, my boy used to eat the bread skin only, leaving the 'meat' for us.

BoeyJoey said...

prince & princess mummy: She's ok and back to her old self now :-). Thanks for the concern.

Mummy Gwen: She eats alright la, sometimes more than her korkor :-S. Just in case that picture is misleading, that's a smaller spoon, not a standard tablespoon (as measurement to the portion).

wenn said...

well, when u r sick, u don't hv the appetite to eat rice..

Alice Law said...

Erm... I personally think the fever strikes back because it's cause by 'viral infection', which the trends of the fever could be on and off, recurrent and it might lasts a week or so.

My 2 cents, the kids need bundles of energies to fight their sickness... it's kind of skeptical to me though( the rice thingy)!:p

Have a nice day head, wish QQ a speedy recovery!

UmmiRosma said...

I have never heard about this before. I assume this is one of the Chinese beliefs especially in handling fever. I will surely follow this advice...tnx a lot...

Your kids have such good appetite even during fever. Not like ours, they will reject foods..*sigh*

Zooropa said...

My parents don't tell but the doc will say this. I don't have appetite for rice but prefer porridge when fever. QQ is cute with her thumb "go thru" the bread :-)

Dora

MeRy said...

I nvr heard of this be4.....Tq for informing.

CH Voon said...

nowaday, wheather is not good or other factor... my daughter also fever as well.

rice - it is quite hard to digest.

LittleLamb said...

yes i hv heard b4. but i never practice it.

BoeyJoey said...

CH Voon: Hope Venessa get well really soon. Take care ya.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

yes i've heard of that too. Ashley is having a fever right now and i've been giving her noodles only. lost a lot of weight *sigh*

Kancilbiru said...

never heard bout this b4..good info btw...:)

BoeyJoey said...

Mommy to Chumsy: :-(. Hope Ashley gets well soon and gain her appetite back. You take care too, Barb.

ChloeRuoyi said...

It's a very popular Chinese belief. My mum just avoided rice but porridge was ok. My MIL is the extreme type. Anything related to rice also cannot including porridge, beehoon etc. Of course I follow my mum and not my MIL cos I've gotten well many times eating porridge :p

coffeesncookies said...

this is an age old belief, I still follow tho I know the reason. Rice is carbs and release energy, hence the sudden spike up in temperature, but it should also subside after a while.
Actually I follow, coz hubs is the 'chuen thoong' guy who believes whereas I fai see not follow..nanti he nag nag n nag !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails