Wednesday, September 1, 2010

eating greens

When my kids were babies, I took great delight in steaming various types of vegetables, mashing and freezing them in covered ice cube trays. The frozen vege cubes were thrown into rice cereals, porridge or just heated to be eaten like desserts. I had a colourful stash of pumpkin, avocado, carrot, purple cabbage, broccoli, capsicums and cauliflower. Besides these, I did the same for fruits; apples, prunes, plums, pears. Bananas, mangoes, grapes, persimmons and tomatoes were eaten raw. My babies loved all of them!

But as they grow up, they begun rejecting vegetables. There was a point where they only ate spinach and potatoes!

I begun cooking my veges in different styles and took notes. After some trials and errors, I'm happy to discover that they do take some vege in certain ways of cooking. I'm really happy when they started taking these:And I'm really surprised that they loved these - lots of raw chopped onion leaves sprinkled into hot soupsEdamame too! Lightly blanched and salted

And even chomping down raw salad leaves like little rabbits!

These pictures were taken when hubby and I were the last to have dinner at mum's house on the Chinese Ghost Festival. The salad leaves were meant to wrap meat dishes before popping into our mouths. The kids had already taken their dinners, but came back to the dinner table to snack on raw salad leaves. They only eat the leaves dipped into some Chinese sweet sauce. Look how they loved them :-).
(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for nivnivhandmade.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.

11 comments:

smallkucing said...

wa i really missed the "sang choy" dish. Wrap it on sengkuang and etc...yummy

Mummy Gwen said...

Wah..I'm impressed with both of them. That's very good. Mine only like crunchy veges like carrots, cucumber, capsicum not those leafy ones.

MeRy said...

They seem enjoy eating the vege with sauce...good,at least they love to eat vege.

eugene said...

Talking about vege and children,headache headache lah.... untill today,my two boys fear so much about vege, sometimes i have to show my long face, baru they makan...

take care now

Yin Yue said...

good to c they like veges too. sometime i mood swing i dun like to eat vege too, but sometimes i would ask mommy "mommy, i wan more veges".. hahaha... siao siao..

ChloeRuoyi said...

Being a vege lover, I tend to cook more veggies than meat. Luckily I have no issues with Chloe taking her greens but she won't take raw leafy ones though. Feels so nice to see HQ and QQ nibbling on the salad leaves like rabbits hehe :)

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Mmm...yummy. Glad your kids love greens :D Mine doesn't :(

Mommy Ling said...

How nice if my gals are like ur kids..Gee...my gals spotted a greeny thing also ask me to weed out..cham more.

Mummy to QiQi said...

hmm..not sure if we can train our kids on greens, but i notice my 2nd twin naturally prefer it and not the 1st twin. its their natural?

A Mom's Diary said...

Yiu Yiu loves her vege too, and I never have problem getting her to eat her vege and fruits, and I'm thankful for that. Hopefully her sister will follow suit.

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

I love to do the same..wrapping meat dishes with the "sang choi", yummy!

Actually both of them consider very good in eating vege. Its not easy getting kids eating raw veges.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails