Tuesday, September 7, 2010

if i have a garden

The first six years of my life was spent either at my late paternal grandfather’s village house or at my maternal grandmother’s house in Bukit Timah, Singapore. My carefree childhood days were spent running and playing in the large gardens of both homes.

My grandmother’s garden was neat and tidy with stone slabs as walkway and beautiful potted plants, but it was my grandfather’s village home garden that captivated me. Red bricks wall covered with soft green moss and purple morning glories, stone stairs leading to an old crumbly well, shady fruit trees, lush flower bushes and a set of cool marble table and stools. My grandfather often sat with us, his grandchildren, at the marble table, telling us tales of his childhood.

I love gardens. With the right landscape design and garden furniture, each garden has a potential to be very charming. If I have a garden of my own, I would construct it to be like an ancient Greek garden. A beautiful archway adorned by creeping plants with pink blossoms will welcome all visitors. Small stones embedded on the ground serve as walkway. As the visitors walk along, there will be small interesting alcoves, whereby visitors can stop to rest and have little conversations. Wooden garden benches, sundials, bird baths, and little fountains. Armillary sundials will be interesting. When everything is still blanketed with morning mist, it will even be surreal. That would be my dream garden :-).

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for nivnivhandmade.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.

5 comments:

Kelvin said...

I will work towards to make your dream comes true. :D

prince n princess mum said...

:)

smallkucing said...

Ya i would like one too..enviromental friendly sun dail Only problem is when it's rain or at night. But the if its raining, i would be in bed with a good book lor :p

BoeyJoey said...

Kelvin: :-D.

prince n princess: :-)

smallkucing: In today's cicumstances, everyone would be wearing a watch already :-). The sundials are more aesthetic than function.

Jenny said...

lots of work to have a garden - thats what i think lah... lots to do as well too. but work is the main problem for me. hehehe

jen @ www.charmoflife.ca

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails