Thursday, October 28, 2010

time flies...

The other Sunday, while hubby and I were busy with our usual chores; cooking, washing, cleaning, ironing, working on his laptop (yes, that's my hubby), QQ was having her nap while HQ was busy doing his own stuffs.

HQ was seated on the sofa, flipping some books and reading softly to himself. Out of curiosity, I peeped over his shoulder. I was very surprised to find that he's reading a Mandarin story book! And his pronunciation was perfect too!

From a non-Chinese speaking kid, he's now reading and communicating fluently in Mandarin. Just the other day, when I was chatting with his Mandarin teacher, I found out that he's one of the best readers in Mandarin among his peers. I'm so proud of him :')

But on the other hand, I feel that I fall short as a parent. I knew precisely he was weak in Mandarin early this year, and I did not nothing about it. His days are filled with him doing his own stuffs and finding his own entertainment. He's independent and do not request much from us. If he does make a request, it will be asking us to read to him (eventhough he reads well on his own), watch tv with him, or to play with him.

We are busy everyday, and the weeks passed by so fast. He's already reaching my arm and he's going to be 5 and a half! How did he grow so fast?!? I sometimes feel real bad that the time that rolled by is wasted? We do not enrol him for any enrichment class after school or during weekends. Are we wasting his time? Will he feel left out among his peers? Am I a bad mother?

I tell him that I love him everyday, and show it as much as I could. But there's so much more I wanted to show him, teach him, expose new things to him... looks like I'm not doing all that much...

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.

12 comments:

smallkucing said...

Have a nice weekend :D

eugene said...

Don't worry about it,i strongly believe that children will feel our love....

as for me i always tell

eugene said...

Sorry, got disconnected, i mean i always tell my two boys that their papa is only human, still learning like they do, so sometimes when i make mistakes,they would understand,,,,

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

True enough! Sometimes I just look back and think how come the little girl has grown up so much?? :~(

Connie Mooi said...

Time really travels fast. I'm sure you've been doing very well as a mother. Don't pressure kids too much, not too many classes for them. Kids are meant to play and have fun during childhood. =)

mNhL said...

just my 2 cents. If possible, enrol him for some extra activities. He will get more exposure.

I regretted that I did not put my time for good use too years ago when I was still single and FREE. Now, I can't find time to even breath.

wenn said...

they love u too..

ChloeRuoyi said...

I feel exactly the same as you, Pei Yi. I keep telling myself that I'm not giving Chloe enough to optimize her learning capacity yet I keep doing nothing about it :(

I'm really impressed with HQ's self-determination to learn Mandarin. How I wish Chloe has the same motivation too!

Mommy to Chumsy said...

such a good and sensible boy. perhaps he could teach ashley some mandarin :) may i know how did he brush up his mandarin?

BoeyJoey said...

ChloeRuoyi & Mommy to Chumsy:
I think, for the start, most of his school mates converse in Mandarin. So if he's not catching up, he'll be a very lonely boy in school :-).

I think the teachers are very helpful too. From what HQ told me, all kids are supposed to speak in Mandarin and nothing else during Mandarin sessions. And when the kids do well in reading and "ting xia" they're awarded with stickers, tattoos, erasers, and pencils. It's like a healthy competition among the kids :-).

So, I think motivation is externally driven rather than internal :-).

He's learning, and to my standard (which is not very high by the way), he's doing good :-). But not good enough to teach anyone yet... haha! Maybe Chloe and Ashley should be the ones teaching HQ! :-D

Mummy Gwen said...

You are not a bad mum. Even as a SAHM I don't really spend much time on teaching Gwen and I think Gwen needs ALOT of catching up to do in terms of Chinese.

Looks like Gwen and I need to move ourselves back to KL coz over here Chinese is not that important. She needs the Chinese speaking environment in school.

A Mom's Diary said...

What you wrote resonated sooo deeply in me. I too always feel that I'm such a bad mum coz I see other mums doing revisions with their kids, coachimg them on languages, and I do basically nothing, except to ensure she completes her homework. Sigh!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails