Thursday, December 23, 2010

happy belated winter solstice

First of all, a Happy Belated Winter Solstice to all :-).

I have always loved Winter Solstice celebration with my family, or better known as "Tang Yuen" festival.

Things that I remember about my childhood Winter Solstice:

Rolling of tang yuen together with the family, while my gossipy 2nd aunty entertained us with "news" about everyone in the neighbourhood. I could not make head to tail of who is who, but I did enjoyed her funny and sometimes shocking stories :-P.

Fragrant bubbling pandan ginger syrup, waiting to be served with cooked floating tang yuen.

My 3rd aunty bringing a small pot of salty tang yuen cooked in thick tasty pork ribs broth with a sprinkle of chinese parsley and deepfried dried prawns... the elder folks loved this :-).

And sometimes, my 2nd aunty will pamper us with her signature dish - stirfried abacus with bits of meat, dried prawns, chinese parsley, taugeh and eggs. We kids loved this dish!

When I got married, I made do with frozen tang yuen with peanuts and red beans filling... just 20 pieces (in 2 packets) for hubby and me. (But I would definitely eat more than hubby... heehee) I would boil them and add them into pandan syrup, or coat the boiled tang yuen with sesame seeds and deepfried. Hubby loved the deepfried version :-).

And recently, I came across this tang yuen:
6 tang yuens with peanuts filling, soft sweet red beans, and a scoop of durian flesh on a bed of durian and sago pearls puree.

Wierd combo, but every mouthful was a bliss. The durian taste was not too strong to shadow the taste of tang yuan; it was at the right sweetness and pungency. Yummy :-D

But I still prefer my traditional stirfried abacus and floating tang yuen in ginger syrup. Call me "lou tou" (old-fashioned) :-)

How was your Winter Solstice celebration? Had any tang yuen? :-)


The tang yuen in durian puree is available at Dragon-i at RM 13 a bowl.

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.

13 comments:

Alice Law said...

I'm now craving for the one with Durian paste and sago seeds! I had my Tang Yuan with 'Lek Dau Suan', a type of green pea sweet soup, it's tasty!

LittleLamb said...

I would like that puree minus the durian. i really cant take durian :(

Small Kucing said...

Yes, we had Tang Yuan and a hillarious time LOL

wenn said...

wow..that's yummy!

MeRy said...

Oh..A new version on tang yuan.
I have mine with greenbean soup. Taste good too!

Mummy Gwen said...

Wow...I've never seen that version of tong yuen before. Looks so delicious. I didn't even know it was Winter Solstice till I read other mummies blogs..haha. Hubby not in JKT pulak on that day.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

wow, i've never had this but it looks sinful :D

AngelineBK said...

Wanna taste some too. Hey Merry Christmas to you and ur family!

Mummy to QiQi said...

Pei Yi, where did u get this nice durian dessert? In singapore or here?

BoeyJoey said...

Mummy to Qiqi: Dragon-I in KL :-)

Jenny said...

HO HO HO Merry Christmas - May 2011 bring you lots of happiness! Take care and have a fabulous day!

jen @ www.charmoflife.ca

slavemom said...

The kids had fun rolling the tang yuen, all in different sizes. :)
I hope they still hv this dessert at Dragon-i the next time I'm there. And not just for Dongzhi.
Happy Belated Winter Solstice, Merry Christmas & Happy Boxing Day!

Mummy Moon said...

The Tang Yuen looks so rich, I think I would prefer those ordinary one :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails