Monday, April 11, 2011

funny mandarin

QQ: 3y 8m old

Both my kids were brought up in an English speaking environment. Although I can't say their English is perfect :-). When they started kindy, HQ at 3 years old and QQ at 3.5 years old, they speak not a word of Mandarin.

HQ, I noticed, picked up the language by listening intently and asking lots of questions. After being very sure of himself, he begun to speak in full sentences of Mandarin pretty soon.

QQ, on the other hand, begun mixing her speech with Mandarin words right away. Along the way, making up her own Mandarin words. And often made us wondered what some of the words meant. LOL! She's not shy at all :-).

After 2.5 months schooling in a Mandarin environment, although not perfect, QQ's Mandarin improved significantly. These were the few which I found funny :-).
................................................................................................................................

My mum was putting QQ to sleep one afternoon. While singing to her, QQ asked:

QQ: Popo, how to say "fart" in Mandarin?
Popo: "Fang pi"
QQ: How to say "buttock" in Mandarin?
Popo: "Pii gu"
QQ: "Wo fang pi ler. Wo de pi gu hen chou!" (Mandarin: I farted. My buttock is very smelly!)

LOL!
..................................................................................................................................

Sometime ago, HQ was taking a day off from school due to fever. When QQ reached school, I heard her telling her teachers:

Teacher Y: Wei sen me ni de Ge Ge mei you lai sue siao? (Mandarin: Why your elder brother didn't come to school?)
QQ: "Wo de Ge Ge sen ping ler. Fa sau ler. Hen lan tuo!" (Mandarin: My elder brother is sick. Having fever. Very lazy!)

o.O"
..................................................................................................................................

My mum went to the kindy to fetch my kids home every week day. One day, when she arrived, a little boy at the age of 5 greeted my Mum:

Little boy: Aunty!
QQ went to him, pat his head and said:
QQ: Guai hai zi! (Mandarin: Good boy!)

Imagine a 3.5 little girl patting a slightly taller 5 year old boy calling him "Guai hai zi"... everyone had a good laugh!
...................................................................................................................................

My kids often look forward to my uni mate, PP and JH's visit. All of them get along very well and enjoy each other's company :-)

PP: Ni mei bu mei? (Mandarin: Are you pretty?)
QQ: Mei!!! Sui suo wo bu mei?!?!? (Mandarin: Pretty!!! Who say I'm not pretty?!?!?)

o.O"

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for BoeyJoey.blogspot.com. All images and text cannot be republished without expressed written permission.

5 comments:

Small Kucing said...

wakakaka....pengsan at the 2nd conversation...bro very lazy LOL

prince n princess mum said...

Direct translation really sounds funny, sometimes.. haha~

wenn said...

wah, learning mandarin is fun le..

Mummy Gwen said...

Your kids are smart...they learn Mandarin so fast. I will only send Gwen to a Chinese kindy in KL when she is in K2 which is next year (Gwen and I will be in KL). In your opionion, do you think it's too late coz like you we only speak English at home?

BoeyJoey said...

Mummy Gwen: I think the environment of the school where Mandarin is spoken as a first language does help. If my kids do not pick up the language, they'll be very lonely cos most of the kids speak that language :-).

Think it's not too late for Gwen to start learning the language next year. Kids learn very fast. Meanwhile, maybe you can try speaking Mandarin to hear at home sometimes? :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails