Friday, June 24, 2011

fever, vomit, sorethroat, rashes and cough

Kinda rhymes too ya? :-)

Ya, now I can type :-), but the last few days were nightmares... especially for my poor QQ. (warning - very long-winded article ahead)

She recovered from her mini fever and cough session after the Penang trip, and was all excited to start school, because she knew she'll be celebrating Teacher's Day on Friday. Like other kids, she had an eat-all-you-can session in school consisting of muruku, junk food and potato chips (I asked HQ what they ate). I was mad as I have told the teachers again and again not to allow QQ eat any junk food, and yet no one did anything to control her. I didn't put all the blame on the teachers; this little missy should have known better cos I've been drumming this into her head as well. Sigh...

Anyway, at the wee hour of 2.00am Saturday morning, QQ woke me up to help her in the toilet, and her skin was burning! Quickly took her tempreture (38.8) and fed her milk and Progesic Paracetamol. After she had fallen asleep, I checked on her now and then, and when her tempreture climbed to 39.6 at 3.30am, I quickly inserted a suppository. At 5.00 am, she had a bout of coughing and vomited. After cleaning her up and changing the bedsheet, she feel asleep again. When she awoke again at 7.30am, I found it unusual when she declined her milk. At 8.00am, she vomitted again. This time it was all liquid and not a trace of food. And it's bright yellow! We were shocked!

We quickly got ready and left the house. It was barely 9.00am when we arrived Sunway Medical Centre. When she was at the hospital, she seemed to be her active self again, albeit a bit tired. She only ate a few mouthfuls of the plain bread that I fed her. According to the Pead, it's a bug that she caught. I thought it could be all the heaty junks that she ate during Teacher's Day on Friday, and the bug easily invaded her heaty body.

When hubby was collecting the medicine from the pharmacy, the kids played in the little playroom. After awhile I knew something was wrong when QQ stood very still and her eyes searched for me. I quickly went to her and she told me she's going to vomit. By the time we reached the doorway of the playroom, my QQ vomited bright yellow liquid again. This time, it all landed on her shoes, HQ's shoes and another little girl's shoes :-(.

After cleaning QQ, I took HQ's and the little girl's shoes to clean. By the time I had them cleaned, the little girl's parents were already searching high and low for her shoes. Really felt so sorry for the little girl :-(.

I fed QQ timely with the fever medicine, and she was alright during the Father's Day dinner although her appetite was not good. We then noticed that her skin had red patches on them. Not bulges, but in patches of very tiny red dots.

The next afternoon (Sunday), our little girl started scratching. I tried baby oil, aloe vera gel, and calamine to soothe her itchiness to no avail. The poor girl was literally scratching herself sore! Her skin started breaking too :-(. She seemed very much better when she was soaking in a tub of warm water, so I let her soak for however long she wanted. The water help to keep her fever down anyway. At late noon, when her fever wouldn't budge from the 38+ range, we inserted another suppository during her nap.

After her nap, she seemed to be eating better - half a chicken thigh, half an egg, half portion of fish and lots of soup. Why all half? Cos she only finished less than half of her portion.

That night she scratched herself to bed and only feel asleep at 11.00pm. At 2.30am, she awoke again, scratching and scratching until she looked like a cooked lobster. Even her head, eyes and ears were itchy! My poor poor baby :'(. She scratched and scratched until she fell asleep again at 4.30am.

2 hours of itch! I bet she was really sleepy and she was coughing too. I really marvel her... She did not fuss or cry at all, just scratched, scratched and scratched :'(.

I called the Pead on Monday, who advised that he would want to do a blood test on her just in case it's dengue. However, the blood test can only be done on Tuesday (dengue result will only show after fever of 3 days). I can't go on emergency leave for 2 days in a row as there are urgent things in the office that I needed to look into. As her fever is now under control, I decided to bring her in only on Tuesday. Moreover, the calamine I have in hand is the same as what the Pead will be giving (I was having rashes due to food allergy sometime ago - more about that later).

So my poor Princess had another night of nightmare. She was scratching non-stop. Crying this time too. There were also rashes around her eyes forming 2 bright red rings. HQ said she looked like someone had punched her on both eyes. That night she slept without any clothes on; she seemed to scratch less when the it's cooler.

So, on Tuesday, the Pead stuck a needle in her to draw blood 2 tube of blood for the test. Of course she wailed. But only for a brief moment; my brave brave girl. Truth is, I think the blood drawing session was more bearable than all the scratching. While waiting for the result, we had breakfast, and QQ did managed to eat half an egg and small spoonfuls of rice. Although still scratching, she was active enough to joke when she saw a lady's plumber's crack :-D.

The result came back after an hour and I was relieved to find that it's negative. The Pead percribed the same calamine lotion and a bottle of anti-itch syrup. I tell you, I will trade anything for this bottle of syrup. Yes, it's that precious.

After Tuesday, her condition got better slowly. As of now, QQ is not scratching anymore, but the stubborn rashes still lingers around her eyes, at her arm fold and leg folds. The skin at that area started peeling off slowly. HQ said she looks like a snake changing skin now *slap forehead*.

This was the 7th time she feel sick this year... and it's only June :'(. Despite that, I'm just so glad she's alright now. But looking things at a longer term, how can I improve her immunity? I'm giving her Amway vitamin C, multivitamins, colostrum, spirulina, and bafidus everyday. What else can I do? Mum is suggesting to stop sending her to school until next year when she's stronger. I'm really tempted...

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for http://BoeyJoey.blogspot.com. All images and text can only be republished with links back to the article/ blog. Thank you :-).

16 comments:

Mummy to QiQi said...

Poor baby. She must be suffering A LOT when she felt itchy. Pei Yi, is it the green colour anti itch syrup?

Currently I am feeding my boys the Transfer Factor. It is a Cow Colostrum and Egg Yolk Extract. Unlike Spirulina or Colostrum from other brands, this seems to work very well to strengthen their immune system. If u wanna try a bottle, let me know because I buy it cheaper from my friend.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Poor QQ and poor mommy too. So heartbreaking to read about her being sick. Does she take fruits and veges every day? They help to build her immune system.

Debbie Y said...

glad to hear that she is fine now. Probably try out the chinese medication for he immunse. Myself having the same problem like yours... let's pray hard the bugs stay away from the kids.

Take care.

reanaclaire said...

It must be some sort of infection.. maybe due to different food.. kids as they grow up will experience this bec of the new things they intake.. my girl till now is allergic to seafood..

Broccoli Ginger said...

I agree with your mom.. Let her stay at home until next year. Better to get her immune system stronger first. I guess you're feeding her pretty well already. I am not sure about the probiotics. Some claims that we do not need to take everyday. Twice a week is enough. I only fed my son once a week.

BoeyJoey said...

CN: No, it's pink in colour... I forgot the name. I read the ingredients and it has 5% zink, so I'm rather hesitant to put it on her, but no choice liao :-(.

I'm feeding my kids Transfer Factor too. My hubs bought them... will check with him and email you to see who's getting them cheaper :-).

BoeyJoey said...

B: Yes, she loves fruits. Eats them everyday except when she realy has no appetite for anything.

BoeyJoey said...

Debbie: Thanks for the concern. Hope your kids get stronger too... take care ya.

BoeyJoey said...

Claire: According to her Pead, it's not allergic wor... but anything is possible. Will watch out from now. Thanks for the concern.

BoeyJoey said...

HL: Oh... I was advised by the Amway consultant to give her twice a day tim... hmmm... really got to check out more. Thanks for your concern.

LittleLamb said...

sigh.. hope Qq is on the way to recovery.

Small Kucing said...

same here. Hope she get well soon

Shireen Loh said...

hi PY. oh dear, sorry to hear about QQ..your mom's probably right, take her out of school until next year. I guess, it might be a little hard at first because she's been so used to it and she will miss her friends. But, her health is more important. Besides, the school doesn't seem to be doing her any favor by offering junk food, murku and such. They should know better. If govt school, ok, i understand, but i am assuming this is a paid private kindy, so they should know better than to feed with these kind of food no matter what. All lack of...don't know what more to say..

Kit said...

Oh dear, this sounds really bad. I know how it feels as both my kids have bad allergies too.

Didn't the paed advise you to take milk, seafood and fibrous stuff e.g. fruits and vegggies from the diet until they are better? Mine will ask to put them on soft diet i.e. plain porridge, mashed banana until the stools turn solid again.

Nowadays, I'd give them some yoghurt too so that their tummies would have the friendly bacteria to help fight the bug.

I hope she's feeling better now.

slavemom said...

Poor girl. Hope she's fully recovered by now. Really unbearable to c our kids in a situation where we can't do anything abt it. Sigh...
Looks like u're giving her quite a lot of supplements. I guess her body's still taking time to build up the immune sys.

Yee Ling said...

Get well soon dearie!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails