Monday, November 28, 2011

HQ's graduation day

As I see my firstborn happily skipped to his school gate on his last day of kindergarten, wearing his concert uniform and swinging bags of goodies in his hand, I have mixed feelings. I am eager to see him grow and ready for new challenges... he's so excited with the new school! Opportunities to make new friends, new environment, Robotics class, Chinese chess (which he starts to play now), proper self defense lessons and more. I'm looking forward to packing his snacks for school breaks and to hear his stories after school :-D. Yet I am worried to no ends how the new school schedule will affect him.

We attended HQ's last kindergarten concert on a Saturday, 5th November 2011. It was his graduation day as well. His graduation photo... he does look like a big boy, doesn't he? :')
Seeing my firstborn march up the stage as the first kid to give his short graduation speech, made my eyes well with tears.

What he said: "Good afternoon. My name is Bxxx Hxx Qxxx and I am 6 years old. When I grow up, I want to be a Forest Ranger, whereby I can take care of the forest."








Where other kids wanted to be teachers, doctors, polices, nurses, my HQ wants to be a Forest Ranger. Must be too much influence from Nat Geo Wild :-).

But, you know what? He later whispered in my ear that "Mama, let me tell you a secret. I actually want to be a spy. But I cannot tell anyone about this, so I tell them I want to be a Forest Ranger. That's my second choice"

:-). Amazing how little kids think ya? :-)

He started out being really unsure of his Mandarin characters, and we used to spend 1/2 hour every weekend to practice his Ting Xie for the first school term. For the second school term, he's already doing dictation, and he insisted that he didn't need practicing. Yes, he's a lazy little boy and we let him (bad parents :-( ). However, we were surprised when he often comes home with full points for his dictations. During the school concert, he was also awarded with "Best Improvement in Mandarin". His Headmistress told us that he deserves the award :-).He's represented the 6 year olds in telling an English story during the concert... I was listening with all ears, and he did not make even one mistake :-). My chest heaved with pride :-). Here's a video of the story, although it could be much better if the background wasn't that noisy.








I enjoy seeing my big boy doing big things on the stage, and mingles with his teachers and friends. But I couldn't help feeling that he's living his own life now without much assistance and influence from us adults. I feel he is really growing up too fast!

For the past one year, he has grown a whole lot. He has attended this kindergarten for the half day session since 2010 for 5 year old class (he attended another kindy f0r 3 and 4 year old classes). This year, he was placed 5th among 23 other six year olds. Although it is not a top 3 position, I am proud of his achievements. To me, it is not only academic achievements that we need to stress on. Confidence, being comfortable among people he has just met, carrying himself well in public, and courage to do new unfamiliar things count a lot too. I wouldn't say he's perfect in all those; there's still lots of room to grow :-)

I hope he will continue to grow, emotionally and academically, as an individual and as a team member of our little family. Hubs and I are excited for his future, and also very mindful to be better role models to him. Yes, Hubs and I have a lot to learn and improve too. I am sometimes very afraid that we are not sufficient as we are now and may lead him the wrong way... so, do pray for us!

HQ's first concert in October 2008 (3y 5m old)
HQ's second concert in November 2010 (5y 6m old)

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for http://BoeyJoey.blogspot.com. All images and text can only be republished with permission and links back to the article/ blog.

17 comments:

wenn said...

congrats!

Small Kucing said...

Fancy that...getting a pingat too for best improvement in Mandarin :)

BoeyJoey said...

Thanks, Wenn! :-)

BoeyJoey said...

Small Kucing: They have awards for best improvement in BM, and English too. Good motivaton for the kids ma :-)

アンゼエリン said...

congrats boy! Pei yi u must be proud of him so much!

my son like to watch nat geo wild too, but still he wanna become a bulldozer driver. *faint*

BoeyJoey said...

Thank you, Angeline!

Wow, what a manly occupation! I'm sure Calvin thinks it's very fun to drive a bulldozer :-)

reanaclaire said...

Congratulations on his graduation!

BoeyJoey said...

Thanks, Claire :-D

Mummy Gwen said...

Congrats to HQ! Fuiyoh...I'm so proud of HQ. He is really a smart boy. Gwen is not that smart lor so I have to tekan her...sigh...maybe not too much also.

Haha...I'm speechless when he told you his secret.

prince n princess mum said...

Happy graduation!

BoeyJoey said...

Mummy Gwen: Thanks, YL :-). HQ is one year older than Gwen, therefore seems more advanced. Gwen is a clever and good girl, I'm sure she will do very well :-)

BoeyJoey said...

Thanks, prince n princess mummy! :-)

Mommy to Chumsy said...

waahhh..such a smart boy. well done HQ!

BoeyJoey said...

Mommy to Chumsy: Thanks, Barb :-). Ashley is a very good and smart girl; I'm sure she's doing very well :-).

ChloeRuoyi said...

Well done, HQ! He looks all grown up and handsome in that graduation photo :)

Mummy said...

Ahhh... He did a wonderful job with the story telling. Wish it was clearer tho as there was too much background noise. In any case, Well Done HQ!! We are so proud of you!

My G wants to be a spy too! A secret agent to be exact... Boys huh? :)

A Mom's Diary said...

A spy? Now where did that come from :-)

He did very well on the story telling - full of confidence and didn't flinch one bit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails