Thursday, December 15, 2011

HQ is reading thicker books now :-)

My Sis presented HQ with a Geronimo Stilton book - Four Mice in the Jungle last Christmas 2010, when HQ was 5.5 years old. He took the book, gave it a fast flip, read probably 2.5 pages, and chucked it aside.

I bought The Enchanted Woods series and presented to HQ for his 6 year old birthday in May 2011. The series comprises of 3 books – The Enchanted Woods, The Faraway Tree and The Folks at the Faraway Tree. I was hoping that I can get the exact library copies that I loved when I was a kid… hardcover large books filled with adoring images. It took me many months to find these books, and when I saw one last torn set selling in Popular Summit USJ, I grabbed it. The one that I managed to find were softcover and loaded with words. Very few black and white images of the characters, drawn rather unattractively. He took the first book, flipped it, read probably 1.5 pages, and gave it back to me.

I knew he can read the books, as he has read National Geographic, and excitedly narrated info that interested him correctly. Although there were big words, he gets the overall picture. And I knew The Enchanted Woods and Geronimo Stilton, filled with exciting and imaginative tales will interest him. But he told me the books were boring… if only he reads further to find the interesting parts!

Anyway, mid October, I think he finished reading his current collection of books, when he reached for The Enchanted Woods. He never stopped reading since then (HQ: 6y 4m old) :-). He was bringing this book around in his little bag, filled with other books to everywhere we go. He was reading in the car, while having meals in restaurants, and at the barber! :-) He often tell the stories to me, and sometimes read to his Meimei :-). As of now, he has finished reading Enid Blyton's The Enchanted Woods, Geronimo Stilton - Four Mice in the Jungle (he said he took 2 days to finish this book!), Geronimo Stilton - Race Across America, Tintin in America, Tintin: The Crab with the Golden Claws and Tintin: Red Rackham's Treasure (yes, he's very into Tintin too!)

For this long school holiday, he has pestered his Papa to buy more Geronimo Stilton books. One visit to Popular book store, and he ended up with four new Geronimo Stilton books. We didn't want to spend so much at one time, but he wouldn't let go even one book. At last, Papa relented. Was HQ happy! At the shopping mall, waiting for Papa to get money from the ATM machine. HQ can't wait to read his new Geronimo Stilton book! His reading habit... he will read a few books at a time. He will read a few pages of one book, then change to another book. Read a few pages of the second book, then continue with the first/ third book. With the help of bookmarks, he's able to continue where he stopped. To my surprise, he doesn't get the stories mixed up, as he tells the story correctly.

Right now he's reading Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree and Geronimo Stilton - I'm not a Super Mouse at the same time. And he reads in different positions and places too. It is also very usual for him to have a reading marathon for a few days and then chuck them aside, only to continue reading after an interval of a few days. Sometimes not reading anything up to weeks! Such is the reading habit of a kid who gets bored easily :-S.

This was how HQ read the last page of his The Enchanted Woods :-). (C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for http://BoeyJoey.blogspot.com. All images and text can only be republished with permission and links back to the article/ blog.

10 comments:

Small Kucing said...

wow he sure loves to read :)

wenn said...

that's a very good reading habit!

prince n princess mum said...

Wow! Well done!

Health Freak Mommy said...

Reading is such a wonderful good habit! My #1 is like this too. And we have the same tricycle too :)

Mummy said...

Ooohhhh.... I remember those books!!!! Love, love them to bits! sigh.. now I'm reminising. :)

one side note, please make sure he has good light before reading ya?

Mommy to Chumsy said...

aww...such a big boy already. i love to see kids holding books and reading them rather than being fixated at psp, mobile phones, ipads, etc. way to go, HQ :)

slavemom said...

It's great that he loves reading. My girl loves Enid Blyton but she oni likes those short stories (15 or 16 stories in a book). She's jes started reading Geromino Stilton series too.

ChloeRuoyi said...

It's good to have a bookworm kid, right? Very easy to keep them occupied :) Do pay attention to his reading posture and make sure the lighting is good though... so that he won't end up with "4 eyes" like Chloe :p

A Mom's Diary said...

Wow! Those books look really daunting for a 6yo! Sooo many words! I think my girl won't even attempt them! Sigh! Have to blame myself for not setting a good example and cultivating the right habit :-(

mNhL said...

my god...looking at those wordings, I think i can fell asleep. haha... i;m just so lazy. HQ is good! And reading is a good habit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails