Wednesday, February 22, 2012

she must have been terrified...

I brought both my kids for a dengue test recently. As hubby was already hospitalised that time for dengue, I needed to handle both kids on my own. Since the Pead's additional nurse did not come that day, I couldn't leave QQ outside, so I brought both kids into the Pead's office.

After checking on HQ's tempreture, lungs, ear and throat, I got the cue that the Pead is going to exract HQ's blood to test for dengue. I held him on my lap.

He started to get suspicious, and asked the Pead and senior nurse "What are you going to do?"

When he spotted the needle, he knew what was going to happen, and started to struggle. I asked him to look away, but he was too curious. When the needle was inserted, he screamed: "So painful!! Please stop! I beg you to stop! Please!!! I beg you!!!"

QQ who saw everthing unfold before her eyes screamed: "NO!!! Please don't do that to Korkor! No!!! Don't do that to Korkor!!!"

Among the din of both screaming kids, it took me awhile to realise that I no longer hear QQ's voice. After making sure HQ was ok, I couldn't see QQ anywhere in sight

She was hiding in a corner, behind a chair, and shaking with fear. She knew it would be her turn next.

The next thing that I was going to do was one of the hardest thing that I had to do as a mum. I carried a crying child, who's pleading me so pitifully not to have her hand pricked.

I will never forget the look of fear and helplessness in her wet eyes...

I'm so so sorry, my love...

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for http://boeyjoey.blogspot.com/. All images and text can only be republished with permission and links back to the article/ blog.

13 comments:

wenn said...

oh dear..scary for kids

Broccoli Ginger said...

Heart broken reading this. But some times we have no choice. Hope everything goes well. Take care.

Ben and Shaun said...

Oh dear. I hope they are feeling better now.

Mommy to Chumsy said...

Heartbreaking. I know the feeling :(

Merryn said...

:`(

That's the last thing we as moms will want to do (to force the kids to go thru something that is horrifying for them) but you have no choice as that is the only way they can have their blood tested... :(

Alice Law said...

Sorry for your hubby, hope he has recovered by now! Poor little ones, but they are sure matured... it's indeed heart wrenching to see kids suffer.All they are ok!

You too take care and keep well!

mNhL said...

oh dear....i will cry in such situation. But no choice. U r a strong woman :D

Health Freak Mommy said...

I know that feeling as I had gone through it all after seeing BBC being poked and pricked endlessly. I hope your kids are OK now.

Carolyn (Lil' Dahling) said...

omg. So sorry to hear about your hubby. hope he has already recovered. Thank God that he is recovering. I can imagine your fear. Thank God the kids were tested negative too. Poor thing, they were so scared of the needles. But you have no choice right? I'm sure they won't be angry with you..:)

ChloeRuoyi said...

That's really heart-breaking :( Hope QQ wasn't too traumatized by that incident and hope both the kids are fine now.

Anonymous said...

For all you moms and dads facing the needle problem: there's a topical creme named EMLA. It's only available via your physician. A little bit on the spot where the needle has to go, a special plaster on it and voila, half an hour later that spot is numb. The kids can pinch themselves and feel that the spot is indeed numb. So they won't feel the needle and they won't be afraid anymore!

A Mom's Diary said...

That must have been a truly heartbreaking moment for you. Glad they tested negative.

A Mom's Diary said...

That must have been a truly heartbreaking moment for you. Glad they tested negative.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails