Sunday, May 6, 2012

soup for our souls

If we're home on Sunday, like today, I will usually whip up something quick and simple for lunch. Nothing fancy... today it's bean noodles in an anchovy based soup with premarinated pork slices, silvered carrots and lots of cabbages. Topped with sprinkles of sesame seed oil and crispy fried shallots. Easy to eat, yummy and wholesome :-).   

Like usual, QQ wanted to help. So while I stirred the meat into the soup, she helped me gingerly drop clusters of dried bean noodles into another pot of boiling water. When she's done, she got down the step stool and started humming a happy tune. While twirling around in her circle dress. So happy was her made-up tune, and so spirited was her dancing, I joined in as well. We put in words and soon we had an orchestra of tunes and words that's lively, merry and silly. Happy mostly :-).

I am reminded today how a simple activity of preparing a meal can be a great mother and daughter bonding time. I remember today as how blessed I am, having my little angel lighting up my days, bringing me joys of motherhood, and to always appreciate what I have.  

She remembered today as the day she helped to cook, serve and consume the "Happy Soup" :-). 

(C) Lee Pei Yi. All rights reserved. Originally published for http://boeyjoey.blogspot.com. All images and text can only be republished with permission and links back to the article/ blog.

3 comments:

mommy to chumsy said...

aww..this is so sweet. i can picture your lil princess dancing in the kitchen..hahah. spending time with our kids really bring us immeasurable joy.

mNhL said...

I can pictured the 2 of u dancing in the kitchen! haha

Good that she loves to help.

BoeyJoey said...

One pretty cute one and another unmistakenly a clumsy hippo... haha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails